Olanzapine (Form 1)
Mechanism of Action
The mechanism of action of olanzapine, as with other drugs having efficacy in schizophrenia, is unknown.
However, it has been proposed that this drug’s efficacy in schizophrenia is mediated through a combination of dopamine and serotonin type 2 (5HT2) antagonism. The mechanism of action of olanzapine in the treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder is unknown.
ZYPREXA® (olanzapine) is an atypical antipsychotic indicated:
As oral formulation for the:
- Treatment of schizophrenia.
- Adults: Efficacy was established in three clinical trials in patients with schizophrenia: two 6-week trials and one maintenance trial.
- Adolescents (ages 13-17): Efficacy was established in one 6- week trial in patients with schizophrenia. The increased potential (in adolescents compared with adults) for weight gain and dyslipidemia may lead clinicians to consider prescribing other drugs first in adolescents.
- Acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder and maintenance treatment of bipolar I disorder.
- Adults: Efficacy was established in three clinical trials in patients with manic or mixed episodes of bipolar I disorder: two 3- to 4-week trials and one maintenance trial
- Adolescents (ages 13-17): Efficacy was established in one 3- week trial in patients with manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder. The increased potential (in adolescents compared with adults) for weight gain and dyslipidemia may lead clinicians to consider prescribing other drugs first in adolescents.
- Medication therapy for pediatric patients with schizophrenia or bipolar I disorder should be undertaken only after a thorough diagnostic evaluation and with careful consideration of the potential risks.
- Adjunct to valproate or lithium in the treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder.
- Efficacy was established in two 6-week clinical trials in adults. Maintenance efficacy has not been systematically evaluated.
As ZYPREXA IntraMuscular for the:
- Treatment of acute agitation associated with schizophrenia and bipolar I mania.
- Efficacy was established in three 1-day trials in adults.
As ZYPREXA and Fluoxetine in Combination for the:
- Treatment of depressive episodes associated with bipolar I disorder.
- Efficacy was established with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine in combination); refer to the product label for Symbyax.
- Treatment of treatment resistant depression.
- Efficacy was established with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine in combination) in adults; refer to the product label for Symbyax.
Dr. Reddy's Expertise
Headquartered in Hyderabad, India, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories is one of the leading Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) suppliers globally. Dr. Reddy's API business is a preferred partner to pharma companies across the US, Europe, Brazil, Latin America, Japan, China, Korea, Middle East and other emerging markets.
Dr. Reddy's API business thrives on the deep technical strengths established over the last 30+ years in the development and manufacture of complex APIs such as steroids, peptides, complex long chain molecules and highly potent APIs (HPAPIs / oncology drugs). This expertise is complemented by our prowess in intellectual property and regulatory affairs which helps us consistently meet and exceed regulatory standards. Dr. Reddy's Olanzapine (Form 1) API is the outcome of the extensive expertise in R&D, IP, and Regulatory.
A key component in helping our customers be first to market is a responsive supply chain. We achieve this by making sure that all our facilities are operating efficiently and to the latest standards of quality, safety, and productivity. A strong interconnect between business and factories allows for a quick reaction to dynamic market changes, so that we can avert shortages and meet sudden surges in demand.
Please fill in the following form and we'll get back to you shortly
Products protected by valid patents are not offered for sale in countries where the sale of such products constitutes patent infringement. Availability may be restricted to certain markets or countries. Please Contact Us for more information on availability and product suitability.
All product information, including that with regard to active pharmaceutical ingredients (API), the indication, and possible mechanism(s) of action, is based on publicly available product label.